Talked with a friend some weeks ago and he told me that he believes people can only be helped when they're ready. I over simplify when I write that I agree. My coaching business is really predicted on the beginning that is being ready. Those that I support are fertile at the point when they're ready. What concerns me is how many don't find themselves ready or even thinking about it. Asleep.
Ten years ago I never took the time to do what I did this past week. I stopped in the middle of a project with the start-up and I went outside to watch my son do his thing on a trampoline. Flips and the joy of telling me about his newest achievement. I was tempted not to. You know, the voice that says the project is very, very, very important. I've learned to ignore that voice most days. I strain here, but readiness took root in me some years ago. My son will be what I was not.
When will you be ready?
The following are some things to consider as you look at your condition of readiness:
- Readiness sometimes comes out of nowhere. It's really not an issue of when, but what you will do.
- You'll be ready when you realize how little time you have.
- Readiness comes when arrogance desserts you and you discover you're not as great as you market yourself to be.
- Humility enters where arrogance ends. You'll definitely be ready then.
- Readiness is fully clear when you have no other options, not a single one.